Basic guide for World of tanks – I needed to describe my gaming fashion a little. I attempted every vehicle class in routine conflicts which helped me to comprehend differences in gaming fashions. I propose you to do the same if you would like to understand the game. Particularly playing with SPGs you can find out more about the game’s advantages, arty war and limits. Later playing with routine tanks it’s going to help you and arty better to work.
There are 5 fundamental types more or less described on WoT newsgroup so I’ll add just recommendations that are straightforward about them.
- as lookout unit constantly recall that more you remain alive and report enemy positions your units can beat the enemy from space, particularly useful is mixture of lookout with friendly concealed TD or SPG
- moderate tanks could function as lookouts that are great too and additionally as lookout killers
- in defense recall to join forces with your TDs and SPGs (shield from enemy lookouts)
- in offense work with Heavy tanks
- most powerful units on battle field thus 1 target of others – unless your are completely certain that nothing can endanger you never go
- keep in mind that quite maybe just your tank wield a firearm capable to penetrate the finest tanks of enemy act according to it – meaning attempt to remain living shoot the most heavy enemy tanks if possible
- my simple rule of thumb generally is – I shoot most dangerous tank which I am able to penetrate and have an excellent opportunity to hit I shoot at the poorest tanks to reduce their amounts, but as I said it depends on scenario
- snipers of the battleground, best used from cover and from great distances because TD is quite difficult to see
- shoot TDs and Heavy tanks with precedence since generally they are simple to hit because of slow rate
- because great camo bonus as TD you generally have first shot in battle (ambush) make it actually count, make an effort to wait until enemy unit stops and shoot, it is actually worth it
- self propelled weapons, capable to shoot great spaces
- attempt to go after 1-3 shots as perhaps enemy arty relocate during reloading you use time efficiently
- if essential use fire on incoming enemies occasionally SPG the best shield particularly when your teammates left you unguarded and it as tank
Tank maneuvers include fire and move. Both are significant.
The quicker you go the quicker you are able to get into the goal that is worse and destination you are to enemy. When going keep in mind:
- consistently stick together with someone, travelling alone is nearly certain death… of course there are exceptions, if you drive Maus around light tanks or you drive very fast tank
- keep in mind that if you scale the hill on the other hand if you are descending your speed increased rapidly and your speed drops dramatically, use height as edge, shoot enemy climbing the hills, use downhill to escape
- use terrain obstacles to hide behind from enemy fire wrecks of other tanks are good cover
- good defensive move is to face front of your tank to engaging enemy and inverse – you turn with little speed your precision is not bad and your front (strongest) armors is facing enemy, fire at will
- Execute when you have great obstacle to protect behind, move to enemy position and fire turret angle
- conceal and fire after which hide behind cover to reload, when reloading bar is almost prepared move a small, fire again, it is 1v1 maneuver that is quite effective when enemy can’t cover
Circle strafe maneuver
- perform if enemy has not more rapid tank than you and/or your turret turns quicker too
- move and turn difficult together
- reason is to get behind enemy or at least to shoot side part of enemy
- could work quite great if you try and shoot enemy’s paths
- successful vs TDs.
- when participating 2v1 enemy, Go on to other part than your team mate to break up your team mate or your team mate to a good Place in the back of the enemy.
- if the enemy is blocked by one of the attackers works also great,
- when multiple enemies that are attacking try to move into safer zones = zones where fewer enemies could strike on you at a time, preferably just one of them, so enemies would block each other from firing
- remember: “Who dares wins! You will never win if you are fearful of loose. Cry: BANZAI ! and charge!”
- precision fire is very important until aiming group is the smallest so every time is it possible, stop and intention
- fire when proceeding is advised only on really close ranges (like 10-20m) unless your crew is 100%
- when stationary targets that are sniping use zoom, disable auto aim and shoot on lower/side parts of vehicle (not on turret)
- be careful with auto aim it works just to a specific level, it is best just to:
* path enemy motion
* fire on target going from you or towards you, not going vertically to your position
* fire on still targets
* fire when going (it depends on scenario)
* fire when escaping enemy – turret points at you and enemy could focus on driving quickly to safety, when loaded merely shoot maybe you hit your pursuer
- when you want to hit targets going vertically at your location (like enemy lookouts dashing your foundation at round beginning) disable auto aim and turn your turret in position where you expect enemy will be crossing – shoot merely second before, it is called deflection shooting and requires lot of ability but is still better than auto aim which will miss 99% of shots that time
Strategy and strategies
Strategy and tactics means – use your brain. The main aim of game would be to win by 2 means, either seize enemy base or destroy all enemy. Keep that in mind because the base is significant in such event. Many players just run to kill and leave base unguarded, if you see someone is capping your base return and defend you for sure. The exception could be only if you outcap enemy (cap faster with more units in his foundation).
Outnumber – always try and get quantity/quality advantage on some place, if I see that part of team is outnumbered someplace guidance the or I run to help usually to pull away fast (which means that enemy just performed outnumbering that is great) stick together
Flanking – consistently attempt to get to the enemy’s back, not meaning to back but to back of single enemy tank of all his forces, you will be surprised how nicely it works
scissor, paper, rock – every unit has it’s advantages and disadvantages that could be used in battle, f.e. TDs do not have turret so I circle strafe them, every unit has some weak spot… Even IS7 and Maus are exposed to HE shells and arty
element of surprise – I try to do what is NOT expected from me, occasionally it works, also ambushes could fall into this class, astonishing ambush could be crushing
Use of Map
Players of WoT don’t typically communicate the map right to other players. This leads to confusion and mistakes. Use directions that are geographical North/South/East/West. It’s more clear and it was understood by everyone.
also suggest colour markings on map places for quick inclination. The shortest connection from friendly base to enemy is RED region, places that are open that are enormous are GREEN areas and chokepoints are areas that are BLUE. So when you tell you teammates you are going GREEN or enemy will understand. On some maps there are more areas GREEN or BLUE which afterward could be defined by geographic direction West green or North blue etc. All maps with suggested zones could be created similar, I could’n place more pics in one issue so perhaps in other issue I’ll.
General communication and tactical awareness could enhance. F.e. scouts will find group of enemy tanks moving along east canyon in Karelia map (blue zone). They’ll detect that most of top enemy players are there with heavy tanks. So the obvious choice would be to order all favorable units to: “all move RED” significance that all units will pass thru centre and will limit the enemy base before they can respond accordingly. Same could apply also to control: “all go GREEN” in this situation. Either way it is win, I experienced it many times.
WoT is actually funny game but occasionally not, when other players play it quite dumb. This was the chief reason I wrote this guide, to improve the game and players participating in it. Good luck and have fun!
To play the game- Select your country:
Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom, United States go to:
Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Faroe Islands, Iceland go to: